The Australian Young Farmer Challenge showcases the depth of knowledge and technical skills required in Agriculture today and celebrates the involvement of young people in the industry. It is an engaging, entertaining and fast paced event showcasing the talents of the modern day farmer. The competition involves teams of four competing in a series of skills-based tasks related to Agriculture with a strong emphasis on technique and safety.
The states who currently participate in the Australian Young Farmer Challenge are NSW (including ACT), VIC, QLD and SA. Other States (WA, NT & TAS) are keen to be a part of the national competition in the near future.
The Young Farmer Challenge is open to teams of 4 people; aged 18-35 years. Competitors in each team must include both male and female competitors.
One member of each team is required to meet each of the following criteria for entry:
- Hold a current drivers licence recognised by an Australian State or Territory.
- Be capable of hitching a trailer to a car and backing the trailer
- Be competent at driving a tractor
- Have experience in driving an all-terrain vehicle (ATV)
- Be experienced in using a chainsaw
- Be competent at handling livestock, including horses, sheep and cattle
Should a team have concerns that any of their members cannot meet the above criteria, they should refer their entry to their State representative